[ale] What's in this "Bin Laden" trash spew?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Apr 24 08:31:49 EDT 2004

ALErs -

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> FYI, I have gotten several "from" each of these addresses.
> Doesn't seem like a spoofing job to me, but IANAL.

I only saved one sample: all the target addresses were in the
'alum.mit.edu' domain, i.e., forwarding pointers. All the addresses were
sensibly formed names, suggesting they are real users, but they were a
block of 20 or so alphabetically ordered and in the same alpha range.
The 'From:' was in 'cnn.com' where I only have one known correspondent,
but I've no reason to think it's significant.

I suppose the database could have been cracked, but rather guess the
spammer just tried a number of names against a known server.

None of it bears the ALE stamp. I just supposed I couldn't be the only
lucky recipient and that ALErs might have looked into it.

Thanks.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu