[ale] mailcap hacking? (was: Character-mode PDF reader?)

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Apr 22 15:04:39 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:46:24PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Fulton Green wrote:
> > I've gotten several emails in the past few days with Acrobat/PDF
> > attachments.  Since my email reader is Mutt, accessed remotely, I don't
> > really have an option to launch a GUI-borne PDF reader.  So has anyone
> > out there heard of a character-mode PDF reader for full-screen consoles?
>
> There's the conversion tool, pdftotext you might check out.
>
> pdftotext foo.pdf
>
> generates
>
> foo.txt

Thanks; that will definitely do it.  The trick now is to get Mutt to
run it.

Mut appears to be using mailcap for content disposition.  If the files
were being sent as application/pdf, I'd be able to get Mutt to
automatically launch the PDF reader.  Unfortunately, the content type
for the file is application/octet-stream, which could be pretty much
anything.  I don't think there is a way for mailcap to tell it to "launch
pdf2text if the file extension is .pdf".

Is there?  Anybody?

Once again, TIA.