[ale] (OT) NT data recovery

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 20 18:41:57 EDT 2004

> From: "Preston Boyington" <PBoyington at polyengineering.com>
> Date: 2004/04/20 Tue PM 06:16:07 EDT
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts (E-mail)" <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: [ale] (OT) NT data recovery
>
> i know some people that are looking for someone to do data recovery on one of their servers.  from speaking to them briefly, there are six drives in a RAID array and the unit is almost assuredly NT based.  basically the unit will boot but it won't see the other disks.  apparently the controller card has tested "good" so they believe it to be a hard disk issue.
>
> can someone recommend a data recovery service for me to suggest?  i would like to throw something to ALE members if possible.
>
> preston

There are a couple Knoppix-based distros out that are geared towards data recovery and forensics. Local Area Security (I LIKE that one!), Penguin Sleuth Kit and Knoppix-STD. All cool tools to mess with.

I haven't learned enough about them to be proficient, but they are a good OpenSource alternative for someone more skilled than me. By the way, I lost a server last year. Running on Win2K server with a RAID-array. Lost 3 drives (out of four installed). It was sent to a data-recovery firm, and all data was lost. A year's worth. Management didn't want to pay for backups, so all data, reports and configuration was gone as well. I wasn't the admin of the server, I was the user - but have that happen and you quickly learn basic admin.

Hence my interest in backup and recovery tools (Mondo Restore! Yay!) and data recovery tools.