[ale] Linux Cluster Server Room

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Tue Apr 20 07:31:28 EDT 2004

Well, my response is - it depends. How long is long? How important
is it to you? Can you checkpoint or modify the code to checkpoint?
Unfortunately, there are questions you have to answer. However, let
me give you some things I think about.

We run CFD codes (Computational Fluid Dynamics) to explore
fluid flow over and in aircraft. The runs can last up to about 48
hours. Our codes checkpoint themselves, so if we lose the nodes
(or a node since we're running MPI codes), we just back up to the
last checkpoint. Not a big deal. However, if we didn't checkpoint,
I would think about it a bit. 48 hours is long time. If the cluster
dies at 47:59 I would be very upset. However, if we're running
on a cluster with 256 nodes with UPS and if getting rid of UPS
means I can get 60 more nodes, then perhaps I could just run my
job on my more nodes and get done faster (reducing the window
of vulnerability if you will).

You also need to think about how long the UPS' will last. If you
need to run 48 hours and the UPS kicks in about 24 hours, will
the UPS last 24 hours? If not, you will lose the job anyway (with
no check pointing) unless you get some really big UPS'. So in this
case, UPS won't help much. However, it would help if you were
only a few minutes away from completing a computation and
just needed to finish (if it's a long run, the odds are this scenario
won't happen often). If you could just touch a file and have your
code recognize this so it could quickly check point, then a UPS
might be worth it (some of our codes do this).

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. You need to figure out
the answers yourself :)

Good Luck!

Jeff

P.S. Dow - notice my address change. You can talk to me off
line if you want.