[ale] (no subject) SPAM talk...

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon Apr 19 13:19:11 EDT 2004

Geoffrey, for some reason I am getting the distinct feeling that you are the
DM (decision maker) with regard to the ALE and it's future handling of spam.
It seems as if no other opinions matter. Even that situation would be
acceptable, however, it's like you are still on "both sides of the fence"
when it comes to HOW the spam problem will be solved.

My desire is to stop receiving spam due to email harvesting from the ALE
archives, or at least not have a situation where we allow harvesting and have
members simultaniously complain about spam. (The other ALE spam problem seems
to be easily solved by simply dropping any message with an attachment - but
that probably won't become policy).

Recently, you (again) implied that obfuscation "is a waste of time." You said
" If you remove the email address from the archive, you're removing a
 great part of it's value." Briefly skimming your posted "solution" it seems
as though some effort will have to be done on each client to make the
solution work :(  My interpretation of all of your posts is that in the
FUTURE "global" spam "solution," email addresses will still be left
unobfuscated and laid bare in the ALE archives - ripe for harvesting.

My question (and this post) can be answered with a simple YES/NO answer (save
the personal attacks for future posts). I have thought up various contingency
plans for either answer that I can impliment server and/or client-side, but
I'd like to know the answer so that I know what steps I need to take.

When the future spam solution has been implimented, will unobfuscated email
addresses be contained in the archives?
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com