[ale] (no subject) SPAM talk...

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Apr 16 22:16:05 EDT 2004

> I'm subscribed to a number of lists, of those, the following do not
> obscure poster's addresses at all:
>
> All SuSE lists
> the freeswan list
> am-info list
> debian lists
>

> Many obscure them poorly, as in: user ( at ) domain.com
> OR: user domain com
>
> You think spammers haven't already figured this one out?
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey                     Registered Linux User #108567
> Building secure systems in spite of Microsoft

At the least this is IRONIC.

On one hand, you have programmers bragging about how good they are and these
are the very same people that critique Microsofts poor security . . .
. . .and on the other hand you have people that fantasize injuring spammers
while tacitly SUPPORTING spam.

Moreover, the ALE - HAS A MIRROR - that has implimented a solution.
Finally, we have a decent man and good programmer IMPLYING that because other
lists are insecure, it is permissible for the ALE to be sub-standard as well.

Let's at least have the integrity(utter sincerety, completeness, candor) to
show spammers respect for outpacing their anti-spam counterparts for years on
end, and/or show Microsoft *the same* respect that we allow for email lists
that are exploited as easily as an M$ email client.

I, for one, don't allow harvesting at my domain - but that's because I care
enough to act rather than complain.

(Disclaimer: That's just my 2 cents - I realize the list will probably stay
sub-standard in this respect for years to come and my words will be
interpretted to mean something other than "fix your shit.").
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com