[ale] Woof

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Apr 16 20:43:07 EDT 2004

If he was afraid for his life, then courts have generally seen this as an
example of #1.  The law generally is if the other person is armed (or if you
are convinced they are armed) or they are threatening (think like a 300 lb.
pissed off biker dude and a 120 small fellow) then you may use deadly force.
The idea of "a reasonable man" comes into play here.

A case in LA (Louisiana) many years ago that involved a man killing a
Japanese exchange student who was playing "buttermilk" or some such prank
was not prosecuted since the man "was afraid for his life" due to threats
that he had received prior.  Of course, the law varies from place to place.

One of the cases that taught the principles of deadly force in my law class
was a man protecting his shed by fixing a 12 gauge shotgun so that whoever
opened the door would be shot.  A sign to this effect was prominently
displayed.  A burglar who opened the door was shot and subsequently sued the
owner of the shed.  The courts ruled that the owner was in no mortal danger
and hence had no reason to use deadly force. The burglar won the suit.

Greg