[ale] (no subject)

Marvin Dickens marvindickens at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 15 23:22:57 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 23:02, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Which begs the question: Why are ISP's not at least doing a basic mail
> sent counter on their customers?  I'll grant the sorry scum who are
> creating spam have been using new worms to get other machines to do
> their dirty work for them. But some basic traffic accounting seems to be
> a good starting point. Then follow it with header checks to throw away
> the blatant spoofs.

It would be expensive to implement accounting designed to catch spammers.
Starting from scratch if you were an isp (Or even a large isp) would be
daunting (Not to mention the maintenance...) I have thought for a long time
that an appliance that sat inside the domain that inspected outbound mail
would be the way to go. If the appliance had reasonably good performance and
was easy to configure regarding picking up spammer techniques as they evolved
(and was priced right...), the isp's would buy them. The company that made
the appliance could sell the upgrades that catch new spamming techniques
using the same model that the virus houses (Such as McCaffy  sp?) use to sell
subscriptions to  Wintendo users.

Best

Marvin Dickens