[ale] [OT] Digital camera fix

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 12 16:50:43 EDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Marvin Dickens wrote:

> On Sunday 11 April 2004 03:39, Joe Knapka wrote:
> > "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd at earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > I have heard that Sony can be really nice about repairing
> > broken stuff, though. I'm going to call them and ask nicely.
>
> My two cents: I think your cheapest, most efficent route to
> this issue may be ebay. Recently, I hoarked the LCD screen
> to my Presario 2570US laptop. It's less than a year old, but since
> I'm the one that broke it (Dropped during recent air travel), the fix
> would not be covered by warranty. Anyway, I purchased a replacement
> LCD screen (New in box with cable) for $210.00 and avoided a repair cost of
> over $500.00 (Which, incidentially was the cheapest I was quoted with
> the highest around $800.00 by the time I figured in shipping).

Have you actually checked if they'll repair it under warranty? I've always
found Compaq / HP to have a "no questions asked" policy if it's within
warranty.... I shattered an LCD on a Presario I dropped off a cable car, and
they replaced the LCD and upgraded the hard drive for free under warranty
;-)

later,
chris