[ale] requirements of enabling FTP under Mandrake9.2 ?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Apr 8 16:17:52 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:21:34PM -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> I've been trying to transfer a 'tar' file using ftp [to a FreeBSD
> machine] without success.
>
> 1-cd to mandrake dir containing file to transfer
> 2-ftp bsdbox
> 	cd to dir to which file is to be transferred
> 		put <file>
>
> then, I get...........
>
> PORT command successful
> Opening BINARY mode data connection for <file>
>
> then, mandrake hangs and nothing happens.
>
> What's wrong and how is it cured, please ?

Sounds like an active/passive thing.  You can toggle between the two
modes by typing "pass" at the FTP prompt.  I think passive requires some
other randomly-selected ports to be opened up, and it wouldn't surprise me
if they're firewalled off either by your router or by the FreeBSD box
itself.

Just a guess ...