[ale] SO vs OO

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 7 07:33:51 EDT 2004

Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 April 2004 20:32, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>> Yes, but that consists of about .1 % of M$ Office users.  In my 26
>> years with AT&T, 99% of M$ Office documents were either PP, Word or
>> Excel, with no interaction between any two.  The few times I found
>> people doing such document interaction, it was because they didn't
>> have the right tool or the right knowledge...
>

> Hello Geoffrey,
>
> Well, I can't speak for your experience at AT%T. I can only speak
> regarding my experience(s). I interact on a frequent basis with quite
> a few users who are in management positions who's positions are
> pivotal. By pivotal, I mean their job requires them to interact and
> share meaningful data with multiple managers/decision makers in
> different departments. Admitidly, the companies I am thinking about
> do not employ the thousands of people that AT&T employs. These
> companies employ between several hundred to *maybe* a thousand
> people.
>
> These users use office suites on a regular basis and do so solely for
> the interaction between the different applications in the suite. If
> MS Office did not have the ability to embed spreadsheets into word
> processing docs and later produce a presentation based on the two (If
> needed...), most of these users would jump ship away from MS products
> totally. It's the only MS owned and written app that they use. They
> use it because it works and they can share data.

Granted, and I can't speak for the rest of the world, as I've not
experienced it. :)  Also, I've not got enough experience with OO or SO
to claim they do what these users find they need.  I would have expected
that they would, but that is an expectation, not knowledge on my part.

> These people have already heard about Linux or else have experience
> with it and like what they see. But, until the office suite thing is
> ironed out they are stuck. How can they justify asking for SO or OO
> if it does not work as advertised? Also, I am a die hard Linux
> advocate. Period. But, the fact is in IMHO, SO and OO do not compare
> to the MS Office Suite of products.

I guess I need to take a harder look at SO and OO to better understand
these limitations.

> Good God. That made my hair hurt when I typed that last sentence. I
> don't think I'll do ever do that again................

Take two aspirin and sleep in in the morning... :)