[ale] aic7xxx driver in Debian

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sun Apr 4 18:53:11 EDT 2004

Even when not doing much, the 2.6 kernel on my new 512MB amd64 laptop
grabs a very large proportion of its RAM after having been booted a
little while, apparently just because it can.  No longer do Linux
kernels really try to allocate as little RAM as possible, as though
someone's going to come by and pull a DIMM out of a slot any second.

If you fire up top, hit capital-M to make it sort by memory, and you
don't see a bunch of processes taking or adding up to large percentages
of RAM, then you're cool.