[ale] lexx/yacc (flex/bison) book recommendation?

Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Mon Sep 29 14:46:19 EDT 2003

We've written a fairly complex parser using flex/bison (GNU equivalents
to lex/yacc). I didn't have time to read the book myself so hired a
contractor to learn it, and learned a good bit myself from
observing/debugging/upgrading his work. Since this project was started
I've since learned of other tools I should have researched before going
the flex/bison route: ATNLR (http://www.antlr.org/) and Spirit
(http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/index.html).

The contractor used O'Reilly's book, I mostly used the flex/bison info
pages. I think the biggest weakness of the O'Reilly book was that it
covers lex/yacc. The GNU versions of these programs are not 100%
identical to the versions covered in the O'Reilly book.

--

D. Alan Stewart
Senior Software Developer