[list] [ale] Need advice on home back-up solution

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Sep 29 12:45:39 EDT 2003

> What  tape drive do you recommend.  Needs to be inexpensive, use
> inexpensive tapes, compatible with GNU/Linux (RedHat9).  Actually, I can
> search google for models but I'd like to know more about the specs
> (scsi? ide? floppy?) that I should look for.  I would also be interested
> in any personal experiences.  Once again, this is for home back-up.
>
> -Bill
>
> Is there an inexpensive tape

The only low-cost new tape drive I would consider is the DDS-4 drives.

The are supposed to be relatively reliable.  I'm not sure what they
cost, but I would guess around $1000.

Personally, I would try to find a used business class drive on E-Bay.
Maybe you could find a DLT for a reasonable cost?

Greg