[ale] Cisco VPN client question

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 27 20:44:32 EDT 2003

Bob -

Thanks for the note.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Transam wrote:

> First upgrade your RH6.x to RH7.3 or RH9.1!!!

This isn't much processor (foof-bugged P100), much RAM (48MBy), nor much
disk (1.2 GBy), so I set it up with 6.2 (and all the updates I found - not
guaranteed, of course), and minimal X11 (FVWM started manually). I would
be better off with a newer installation. It just looks tough to fit it
into my gifted Toshiba 430CDT.

> Then, if you cannot get it to build and Cisco Customer Abuse won't help
> you then go with IPSec.

No-one but me cares if I can link to this VPN, so I don't expect help from
any quarter. I'm really interested why a client's WinXP (with a sure-G~d
Cisco client) is refused access.

I thought I'ld give this one a try since I'd found sources that seemed to
match my system's libs. Naturally it bit back.

I'll try building the module on my home 7.3 system and see if it comes out
more usably. (We are now reaching the domain of genuine masochism,
having left machismo far behind!)

Quoting the first program manager I ever worked with, "The 'quick and
dirty' approach can generally be relied upon to be dirty."

Cheers.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu