[ale] Lindows marches on

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 23 22:01:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 18:00, Tom & JaVonn wrote:
> "Seagate is now selling a line of hard drives pre-loaded with LindowsOS for the exact same price as a typical blank hard disc. Because the LindowsHD hard disc is available for the exact same price as the blank hard disc, the manufacturer is in effect, getting LindowsOS for free."
>
> For years I've moaned about the lack of marketing in the Linux world.  Michael Robertson is a marketer to watch!  I've never actually USED Lindows, and kinda resent his riding the crest of someone else's wave, but at least he's getting Linux in front of the masses.
>
> What do you think???

If Lindows was being installed on some better machines, it would be
rather cool. The Lindows machines that it is being sold on are seriously
slow and poor quality. I have a client who bought a Lindows box. It
really wasn't too bad. For GrandMa hho just got net access and wants to
send email and see pictures of the grandkids, it will work just fine.
Me? I hate waiting for Mozilla to load on a dual 1.4GHz Opteron w/ 2G
DDR RAM from a raid 1 133MHz pair of 7200 rpm drives.