[ale] aim

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Sep 18 07:19:37 EDT 2003

You both should take a look at jabber (jabber.org).  It's open source, you
can run your own server, and it's distributed, which means I can be on my
server as jb at devsea.com and can add Geoffrey to my contact list, even
though he's logged into his own server and not mine.  So, you could
potentially have a server setup for your family but still be able to
communicate with the outside world.

You add a user to your contact list with a similar syntax to email.  For
example, I have a server running at coastal.homelinux.org, so my userid is
jb at coastal.homelinux.org.

Feel free to connect up to my home server and give it a try.  If you do,
be sure to drop me a msg while you're there.  Another nice thing (not
configured on my server yet) is that jabber supports both SSL for
encrypting msgs and GPG for identification/authentication.

Also, jabber.org has a list of many publicly accessible servers if you
don't wish to run your own.

John