[ale] Questions about DVD-R

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Sep 17 13:11:32 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:54:51AM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> OK, so maybe I jumped the gun and ordered a DVD-R, DVD-RW drive (Toshiba
> SDR-5002) before I asked the tough questions.  I think I've read enough
> to understand a little about the thousands of DVD formats out there.  If
> I understand correctly the dvdrecord software will not write session or
> tracks but has to write disk-at-once to DVD-R disks.  Is that right?
> What about CD-R, is it also limited to disk-at-once when writing a CD-R
> in a DVD writer?

DVD[-+]R[W] and CD-R[W] all have different quirks.

cdrecord -prcap will tell you what the hardware is capable of.
(or dvdrecord or whatever)

My DVD-R drive (Optorite DD203) will do DAO/SAO/TAO with CDs just fine.
I haven't tried anything other than DAO with DVDs, as I've been filling
up each disk to the brim.  :)

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444