[ale] raid hardware

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Sep 17 13:08:24 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:23:51AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> 3Ware Escalade 8506-4LP 4-port SATA RAID PCI
> 3Ware Escalade 8500-12 Serial ATA RAID
> 3Ware Escalade 8506-8 Serial ATA RAID
> High Point RocketRAID 1520 Dual Channel PCI to SATA RAID Controller
> Intel Serial ATA (SRCS14L) RAID Controller

If you're going to do RAID5, then the 3Ware cards are simply the best.
For RAID0/1/10, they're still pretty good, though you really don't need
anything fancy for that.

I've used the 3ware Parallel IDE RAID cards a lot in the past, I'd have
to assume their SATA ones are equally good.  They actively support
Linux, which is quite nice!

I don't know what kind of Linux support the HPT 1520 or Intel cards
provide.

I've been quite badly burned with a Promise SX6000 though.  In fact, I
have a 3Ware 7506-8 on its way now to replace it.  It's not pleasant,
having to pick up the pices on a .5TB array.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444