[ale] Upgrading to Apache 2 on RH 7.3

Howard Fore mylists at hofo.com
Mon Sep 15 21:54:12 EDT 2003

On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 16:20 US/Eastern, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> DO NOT FORCE INSTALL APACHE 2 ONTO A REDHAT 7.3 MACHINE!! Bad things
> will happen. If the upgrade is vital, then you will need to install all
> of the -devel rpm's needed (there are many) and build apache from the
> source rpm. There is no other way to keep it rpm compatible. You can
> also get the tarball and build from that but it won't be in the rpm
> database correctly anymore.

Mmm. Good to know. Out of morbid curiosity, could you be a bit more
specific? I downloaded the dependencies needed (new versions of
openssl, glibc, libdb, etc) and the only error messages were about the
various files involved. Nothing about v.old glibc needed by some
earthshaking part of the system.

Howard Fore, me at hofo.com
"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of
words.  If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the
people who must use the words." (Philip K.Dick)