{Spam?} [ale] (reasonably) mature GUI solutions in Linux

Sam Jones eugtk at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 15:51:21 EDT 2003

--- John Wells <jwells at secureworks.com> wrote:
> Irv,
>
> Euphoria looks really interesting, but is out
> because he needs to support
> Windows as well, and in my experience Gtk on Windows
> is just not there yet.

Some people have reported success, others not. Either
way, it's hard to justify using a "foreign" GUI when
Windows is already there. Euphoria does, of course,
run on native Windows, and there's a nice Delphi-like
IDE for that. But your uncle would have to maintain
two different libraries for the interface portion of
his program.

I suppose that's going to be the situation for a long
time, since both Windows and GTK (and QT, if you wish)
are radically different, and each has its strong
points.

A "universal" GUI would, by necessity, be limited to
whatever functions the platforms have in common,
so any program using that universal GUI would tend to
be simplistic and perhaps a bit awkward, certainly
lacking the "frills" which may make a program more
saleable.

> Is it really a problem?  Well, I'm not sure and will
> have to ask him what a
> accceptabe effort is.  I know he does compete in a
> fairly competitive
> market, and is also a rising success in that market,
> so I suspect he'll want
> to be pretty sure he can prevent any unauthorized
> "viewing" of code.

There might conceivably be "secret algorithms"
which allow his program to do something that others
don't - but it's kind of hard to imagine that they
aren't already known or can't be deduced just from
observing what his program does with data.

Heck, maybe he could just copyright the whole thing,
and make his living by suing everyone who looks at it
for $150,000 per peek (works for the RIAA!)

Irv