[ale] Remote Sound

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Sep 15 11:31:50 EDT 2003

On Saturday 13 September 2003 01:30 pm, Jim Philips wrote:
> David Corbin wrote:
> >>I get both with no problems. I don't know about the "remote" part. I
> >>just use it all on my desktop here.
> >
> > It's the remote part that matters.  The apps are running a machine other
> > than the ones with the speakers.
>
> Michael Hirsch would probably have some experience in that area, since
> he's a KDE user and seriously into audio. But I haven't seen him posting
> lately.

Sorry.  I'll try to be more vocal.  ;-)

All I can say is I've looked at the source to esd and I hate it.  It has major
waeknesses.  I've heard that artsd is better, but never checked it out.  I
suspect that for system beeps, etc, either is fine and esd is more
lightweight.  Since I use KDE I use artsd and haven't had problems.

Back when I was building an audio jukebox we did a lot with esd and the code
base was weak in the audio area.  It also appeared to be unmaintained.  We
could never find anyone to send patches to.  artsd seems to be maintained,
which is a Good Thing.

Michael