[ale] Linux replacements for some M$-based junk

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Sep 13 00:20:22 EDT 2003

Win4Lin allows one to install Windows 98 on a partition and run it in a
window.  I used it w/ QuickBooks, Office, and some other MS programs a year
back.  At that time it cost $60.00 @ CompUSA and it of course requires a
Windows install to the partition.  You just click an icon on the Linux boxes
desktop and it starts up a window that is the Windows Desktop and Windows 98
running along as fine as frog hair.

Windows 98 ran faster on Win4Lin than natively on the same machine.  The
install was wickedly fast also.  If it crashes, you just start up another
window.  I guess you could have several Windows desktops going, but I never
tested that.  I had no problems while I ran it.

VMWare is also an option, but slower for Windows 98 and it costs more.

According to http://www.netraverse.com/ Win4Lin is now available at
WalMart.com.

I wouldn't waste someone's time and money with these two options available,
especially playing with someone's finances, unless they want to have the
first app re-done by a developer in some cross platform language and work on
porting the second over (both a lot more $$$ and time than just using
Win4Lin or VMWare).

Good Luck,

Greg