[ale] Ultraedit type editor for Linux

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 11 10:07:47 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:36:45PM -0400, Nathan Underwood wrote:
>  - Syntax highlighting (PHP, HTML, Javascript, bash, perl, C, C++, etc.)
>  - Save to / Open from FTP
>  - Fast (UE is very fast at opening large files)
> Pretty simple list (I think), but I'm having trouble finding anything.

It has to be said, but I wish it didn't: emacs will do all of this
(except for the fast part).

VIM will do all the syntax highlighting, and is fast, but I don't think
it will do the ftp part.

My personal favorite editor is FTE.  It is amazingly fast and
lightweight, does syntax highlighting, and is extremely configurable.
It won't do the FTP bit, but you could always file a feature request, or
even write it yourself if you're motivated enough, since it's GPL.  See
http://fte.sourceforge.net/ for more information.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9