[ale] Samba 3.0rc3 or Samba-tng for NT PDC?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 11 09:20:29 EDT 2003

Don't want much, do you? :)

Samba-tng was the development track that led to Samba 3.0. So I don't
think it is currently under development.

My readings on the group mappings have always ended with "but you will
likely need to migrate by hand". That is not encouraging for an
organization with more than 20-30 people getting migrated.

The multi-domain trust is still very experimental (**note** I have not
been testing anything with Samba 3 versions yet) with a mixed *nix/samba
and Microshaft DC environment. One of the changelogs did mention that an
all samba DC (PDC and BDC) setup should be working now. I don't know if
the rollback from a lost PDC -> BDC then PDC back online is working
properly or not. There seemed to be some confusion about the BDC
releasing when the PDC was restored a while back.

The multi-domain support is good for user authentication, but
cross-domain authentication is as flaky as it is in windows. Windows
2003 server seems to addressed that issue (I've never had to handle it.
Nor do I want to :) but with some crankiness for older servers as BDC.

Good luck!!