[ale] Bootable Dongles?

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Wed Sep 10 21:33:47 EDT 2003

I'm trying to build up some rack-mount servers from scratch.

I've noticed that many of the raw chassis available don't have any space
for a CDrom nor a floppy.

I'm planning on using Intel ATX motherboards, but I'm wondering how to
do "boot from floppy" types of things if I use one of these chassis.

Specifically, the Intel motherboards typically need to have their
firmware upgrade every once in a while, and I use boot floppies to do
that.

I've tried booting off of USB connected CDroms in the past and not had
any luck.

The only other option "I know" is to use a USB dongle and somehow make
it bootable.

Is that a reasonable thought?

Anyone done it?

Is there another way that does not involve any local infrastructure?

Do I need to ignore chassis that don't have floppy mounting hardware?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer