[ale] politics, KDE

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 10 18:43:43 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> > KDE asked him to remove it per KDE no-political-statements policies, he
> > refused, KDE removed it, and he pulled his apps from KDE. They're still
> > available on his home page <http://www.hakubi.us/>.... Browsing the KDE
> > CVS web verifies that at least kaboodle is currently removed from KDE,
> > though.
>
> No political statements they disagree with. The entire KDE home page was
> recently used for a political statement.

Apparently the policy covers code, not the web site. I thought it was
interesting b/c there are a fair number of people who use their code to make
political statements (Bram Moolenaar and vim, for example, or Ian Clarke and
freenet). Does that mean no KDE front-end to vim (I think there already is
one)? Or no KDE freenet client? (though that's arguably different, since the
code itself is the political statement, rather than making political
statements)....

later,
chris