[ale] multiple print quality settings

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche dittmeb at mail.rockefeller.edu
Tue Sep 9 15:59:48 EDT 2003

Hey all,

	I just spent like all day setting up my Epson Stylus C60 with my
FreeBSD box. I'm using lpd and I can now print with lpr, but only at one
quality setting and I'd like to be able to print at any of several of the
printer's quality settings.

I thought I could create several virtual printers in my printcaps file,
but I'm worried about locking if someone tries to print to both the low
quality and high quality printer, so I gave them all the same spool
directories hoping the lock files in there would work for that, but
now I get:

chkprintcap: lpp and lph share the same spool, /var/spool/lpd/lp
chkprintcap: lph and lpm share the same spool, /var/spool/lpd/lp
chkprintcap: lpm and lpl share the same spool, /var/spool/lpd/lp
chkprintcap: lpl and lp share the same spool, /var/spool/lpd/lp
lpd: 4 errors in printcap file, exiting

Is it safe to give them all seperate spool directories or will lpd try to
access multiple printers (even though they are all the same /dev) at the
same time? Is there annother way?

Thanks,

	bjorn