[ale] Clustering newbie openMosix.

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 18:21:09 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 18:03, Berlin Brown wrote:
> Two questions, do I have to do any special kernel compiles

Yes; used to be, you had to take a vanilla kernel source and apply the
OpenMosix patches; I don't know if they supply whole kernels now and if
they do, I expect that you still have to compile it.

> or filesystem setup(NFS) and is that difficult.

As I recall, there is a Mosix distributed filesystem you can use, or you
can use NFS to operate upon some other machine (you might go either way
if you were going to, say, make a big MP3- or Ogg-encoding cluster.

> Also, is there a cool factor associated with openMosix. MPICH is
> pretty cool I am running even the most basic apps on a cluster.

If I remember, MPI and so on (as used in a Beowulf-class cluster) are
used when you are writing apps specifically to interoperate in
parallel.  Beowulf-class clusters and Mosix-class clusters are very
different and apply to different real-world situations.

- Jeff