[ale] More on Cookies

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 8 20:06:37 EDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:45:51PM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I have just used a SMC Wireless AP/Router device.  I've logged into the
> web interface and configured it.  I noticed that it did not issue me
> a cookie.  How can the device truly know that I'm still me each time I
> click a new link on its interface?  Does it simply keep track of IP
> Addresses that have logged in?

Most web-based applications can store a session ID in either a cookie,
or as a form variable, either in the URL or as a hidden variable.  In
fact, the Java servlet API includes a method in HttpServlet,
encodeURL(), which will rewirte an URL to contain a session ID if
necessary.

Hopefully, your router is doing this, and not just letting anybody in
once a password has been given.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9