[ale] PPP Perfromance

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Oct 31 05:53:02 EST 2003

Ryan wrote:
> I thought MRU and MTU were things that ppp negotiates automatically when
> bringing the link up. Is there any benefit to forcibly setting them? Or
> are they required to give ppp an idea of what to say during that
> negotiation?

I'm sure there is some benefit, but I can't point you to any document to
prove it.  I can say that back when I was doing virtual office for AT&T,
I had a problem getting to a particular company site on the intranet.
After much gnashing of teeth, I literally stumbled upon a solution which
was to change the mtu.  I don't recall whether I set it higher or lower,
but I do know that once I changed it, I was able to get to that site
with no problem.

That was a wierd one...

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net