[ale] Knoppix

Michael Golden naugrim at email.byu.edu
Thu Oct 30 00:04:27 EST 2003

> That is a GREAT idea!! If the stores floor model will run KNOPPIX, it'll
> run any thing Linux you can throw at it.

It is important to note that the opposite is not necessarily true
though. Just because Knoppix will not run on a machine does NOT
necessarily mean that other distributions of linux will not either.
Knoppix is a good general indicator though. I have a Dell Inspiron 5150
laptop that I bought recently that the Knoppix CD simply will not boot
on however I was able to boot and install gentoo and have everything I
care about work. (except some glitches with gentoo's kernel and acpi)
(Also, I did research the machine first and opted out of their builtin
wireless and bought my own card so that I'd have that supported)

--
Michael Golden <naugrim at email.byu.edu>