[ale] Cool!!

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 29 06:27:32 EST 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 11:34 pm, Ray Knight wrote:
> > So far my main complaint against it is one that I have with other
> > updaters: I have packages I compiled from source and Yum insists that
> > these packages are out of date and need to be replaced with older
> > versions. The packages were made with checkinstall and so far, all of
> > these update programs don't know how to deal with that. Can't they just
> > read the version?
>
> For the package manager to read the version you need to install the
> software using the package package manager.  So get the source package,
> modify it for the new version and source then build and install.
>
> You can't really expect a package manager to know what version you have
> installed if you install a newer version from source bypassing the
> package manager.

You don't understand what I wrote. I said I build the program from source and
install it using checkinstall. Checkinstall builds an rpm package and updates
the rpm database accordingly. So, yes, I think I can expect an update program
to deal with that properly. Instead, when it checks it wants to "upgrade" my
installed KDE 3.1.4 with KDE 2.2.1.