[ale] Sendmail config - SOLVED

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 28 14:09:46 EST 2003

> From: <griffisb at bellsouth.net>
> Date: 2003/10/28 Tue AM 10:10:28 EST
> To: <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: [ale] Sendmail config
>
> I have sendmail and ipopd running on a Debian Woody server. Not much disk space, but possibly enough to send and receive mail for one or two users.
>
> Anyway - when logged into the server itself, I can send and receive mail wih no problms at all. I tested from the server out to my Bellsouth and Yahoo accounts. I configured an e-mail client on another PC, and tested again. I can receive e-mail using the client, but can not send. The message gets rejected with a "Relaying Denied" error message.
>
> How can I set up specific users that can relay through the e-mail server? I wouldn't think I should enable relaying for everyone (hi spamfest!). Any Debian users know what toolset (non-gui) I can use to reconfigure Sendmail?

I was getting an unknown IP name error on 192.168.1.1. That's my Linksys router. I went into /etc/hosts and added an entry for my router, and sendmail and popd are working fine for Evolution and Outlook clients. Well, not much memory or diskspace, so no spamassassin or virus checker. If I decide to use it, then I'll go procmail and add to it.