[ale] Oracle on Suse 8.2

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Oct 25 10:35:35 EDT 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Greg wrote:

> ok, I found out the answer - it was looking for the java jre.  Now java and
> X won't play.  I don't care what some say, there is a lot to be said for the
> ease of installing stuff on Windows.

You've obviously never installed Oracle on Windows if you think its
installer works any better there than it does on Unix. ;-) The truth is that
Oracle's installer just sucks, regardless of platform. Every time I install
Oracle on any platform, I'm amazed they have the market share they do....

My new favorite Oracle installer bug: the installer just hangs when
installing on Windows on newer machines. I eventually learned that one dll
in the installer (the JIT for the JVM) just doesn't work on P4's. You have
to copy the CD off, delete that dll, then re-run the installer, and it'll
magically work.

later,
chris