[ale] Resolved Re: Library/ Browser conflicts in Slackware-9.1

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 25 10:17:28 EDT 2003

ALErs -

Thanks for the suggestions. I needed to keep this installation reasonably
lean, so I went looking for the missing Slackware pieces rather than a
'prepackaged' solution with possible additional redundancies. (Hold your
editorial horses! I expect I have already gotten _some_ redundancies. &8-)

I only kept Netscape, but the 'fix' is the same.

I hope this note helps another pilgrim, else sorry for the bandwidth.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, John Mills wrote:

> I tried to install packages for Mozilla and Netscape as included in
> Slack-9.1, but I had two library problems. First, I needed a few that I
> haven't installed yet, but more importantly, both these packages insist on
> some libs _older_ than the versions -9.1 provides. What do I need to get
> a viable Netscape or Mozilla package installation?

I found the application-related libs had been installed in
/usr/lib/[netscape | mozilla]/ and were properly found once I added
/usr/lib/netscape to the cache paths in /etc/ld.so.conf

I found the older-versioned 'libglib' and 'libgmodule' were present in the
CDROM's 'slackware/l' directory ('glib-1.2.10-...' in this case). I hadn't
opted to install them, so I did.

Slackware seems to have been a good solution to my installation problems
with an old, RAM-challenged (48MBy) laptop (Toshiba _Satellite_Pro_
430CDT), and the results seem to work well. In particular, XFree86 fell in
seamlessly and XDM now works (though I can practically hear that P-120
panting as it starts up the display manger).

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu