[ale] compiled system calls versus shell scripts

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche dittmeb at mail.rockefeller.edu
Thu Oct 23 12:07:29 EDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Aahhh!  That explains why when I "time" each I get almost double results
> from the compiled binary.  I created a shell script and a binary that do
> the exact same thing and I got results that were opposite (as you
> described) from what I expected.  For those that don't know, you can
> "time" a command by simply running:  ' time whatever.sh ' or ' time
> binaryfilename '.  When the program is completed, you'll be presented
> with a timing calculation of the execution time.  As a result (of my
> result), I decided to post this thread to the list.  Thanks for sheding
> some light on it, Doug!!!

I believe that the system(3) call is actually quite a bit worse than what
Doug has said. system(3) is not equivilant to one fork(2) and one exec(3),
but something more like two of each. From the FreeBSD man page:

The system() function hands the argument string to the command inter-
preter sh(1).

So if the command you pass to sh(1) is builtin, then, indeed, you would
have one fork(2) and one exec(3) (although this is probably implemented in
a slightly more efficient way using just one system call). However, most
of the commands Christopher is talking about are NOT built in, which means
that sh has to re-fork off another process and exec in that, giving you
something like two forks and two execs! So you might do a bit better with
a c program that calls fork(2) and exec(3), then one that uses system(3).
There are also calls on many systems for forking and execing together
which are more efficient (I believe vfork(2) is one such function). I
would expect a c program that vforks all your commands to run slightly
better than a shell script, but not much. The lesson here is that
system(3) is not your friend when it comes to speed (or portability, for
that matter).

> Does anyone know how to do the Make / Makefile thing at bootup?  How
> does one build the makefile, and where do you put it?

It is explained here:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html

I have read a few of the relevant articles casually and IBM claims that
make can be used to boot the system faster than init but I didn't see any
actual numbers. RH says they tried it and it didn't make a big difference
(also not giving any numbers). Weather and how much it helps probably
depends a lot on your system configuration (that is, what services you are
running, what kind of drives the binary's and config files live on, etc),
but it's possible that even the best case doesn't speed things up too
much. You could also try things like copying /bin and /etc to ramdisks,
which would speed up reads by consolidating otherwise disparate disk
reads. Another idea would be to increase the percieved performance by
putting some things at the end (eg, allowing users to log on before
everything is up and running. Some window systems do this, but I find it
very anoying when people can't access the network until the machine
"settles")

Lots of luck!

	bjorn