[ale] compiled system calls versus shell scripts

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 23 11:49:12 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 06:56:53AM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 04:43:05PM -0400, Pete Hardie wrote:
> >
> > Did you see the /. article a few weeks back about using make for booting -
> > it showed that it works to run things in parallel, if you know the
> > dependency ordering of stuff.
>
> Link?  Now that is f**** cool.  I use make to build all my code.  Now I
> can use it as a rc script.

This is the slashdot article, which has some good discussion.  It points
to an article on IBM DeveloperWorks here:
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html
This article describes how to use make to run your init scripts in
parallel.

Also interesting is the LinuxBIOS project, which can boot your box in 3
seconds (!), from power-on to console.  You have to be much more
adventurous to try this, however, as you will have to reflash your BIOS.
See here: http://www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios/news/index.html
Also slashdot article here:

HTH,
Jason