[ale] Set up Dial-in for RH9

Scott McLean ScottMcLean at savalfoods.com
Wed Oct 22 14:58:24 EDT 2003

Hi, let me start by saying I'm one week into the world of Linux, so I know
next to nothing, and feel as if I'm learning a foreign language.  So please
forgive me if my questions seem over-simple.

I am trying to set up dial-in access on a Red Hat 9 server.  I've read a lot
of the guides that are on the internet, and while they make some sense to
me, I have a few questions.

Almost all the guides refer to using the mgetty program, however RH9 comes
with mingetty.  Will this also work?

Most of the information I've read says to add a line similar to this, in the
/etc/inittab file:

S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS2 -D /dev/ttyS2

Is this line added to the bottom of the inittab file?  Or does it replace
one of these lines, which are already in there?

#Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

After that, the guides I've read lose me.  Would someone mind explaining
what I do next, preferable translating Linux to English, since I am still
not very familiar with all the commands.

Thank you in advance.