[ale] bios chip removal?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 20 16:09:22 EDT 2003

Doug McNash wrote:
> If the BIOS is socketed it is probably not rewritable in place.
> Removing it or replacing it will probably not do what you want.  The
> active BIOS parameters are probably not stored on that chip but in some
> RAM, most likely on a RTC (Real Time Clock) chip.  The RTC will be
> powered by a battery or a capacitor, most likely a larger axial lead
> component and the only axial lead component on the board.

I see 4 axial lead components, none of which are anywhere near the rtc
chip.  Not really sure what they are, as it's been a while since I've id
components.  There are a number of capacitors in and around the rtc
chip, but none of them are axial lead.  I guess I could start by
draining all the caps.

> If you can find the capacitor, drain it by shorting it with a low value
> resistor.  If a battery look for a disconnect jumper or unsolder one of
> the leads for a second as it might not be rechargable. Otherwise, I
> would try to find the RTC chip, look up the data sheet for it a see if
> it has some RAM.  If I couldn't find a reset jumper near it, look on the
> data sheet for the RST pin and ground or pulse it depending on what the
> data sheet says.

I did locate the data sheet for this rtc chip. There's a rclr (ram
clear) which looks like what I need.  Says to ground it to clear the
'114 bytes of general purpose ram.'  Of course I have to pull board out
to get to it. :(

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net