[ale] bios chip removal?

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 18 11:25:16 EDT 2003

Actually, the chip with the sticker on it (assuming there is only one, and its the
size of a normal chip) is either a Flash ROM or a mask ROM chip (depending
on the boards age).  Shorting out its pins won't do anything at all.  What he wants
to do is reset the CMOS settings to defaults.  They are stored in battery backed
ram (NVRAM) somewhere on the board.  Older boards just had a battery and
a seperate chip that stored the few bytes of info, I think it was actually in one
of the asics on the board, depends on age, and newer boards usually use an
all in one NVRAM/RTC/BATT chip (usually made by dallas, some may be made
by mostek or ST micro).  Some of the newer boards with a highly integrated
chipset may still place the NVRAM/RTC in one of the chipset ASICs, but generally
there has to be a battery or supercap somewhere to keep it all powered when
the power is off.

Can you not reset to defaults by using a command from within the bios itself?  Is
it password protected?

Who makes the board?  How old is it?  Whats its part #?  Have you found a manual?

Mike