[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Oct 18 07:51:05 EDT 2003

Stephen Turner wrote:
> just a personal preference for linux distros but gentoo seems to be
> the fastest :D as for clusters i have no experience yet but distros?
> debian is the most stable and secure and gentoo is the fastest :D

Certainly opinions there.  But, gentoo is likely to be faster if you
properly configure it.  You're targeting the specific hardware in the
box, rather than a generic kernel from most of the other distros.  Then
again, many of the distros, SuSE 8.2 included, provide multiple kernels
so they can target different hardware.

I've not done any clusters either, but I've got a handful of older
hardware that is just begging to be put to that test.  Just wish I had
the time.

As for stability, I can't remember the last time I had a box crash, and
I'm running just about all the major distros, expect Debian, so I don't
think that's a very valid statement.  That is, unless you've done some
comparison to the other distros.

Finally, regarding security, I don't use Debian, so I can't say, but
anyone who installs any OS without revisiting the secureness of that
system is a fool.  I've got firewalls protecting my network, but I still
lock down my boxes that are inside my network.  The few times that I
boot my laptop to XP for 'client support' I disconnect it from my
network.  Now is that security or paranoia? :)

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net