[ale] Almost home with Slack-9.1

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 17 12:45:04 EDT 2003

ALErs -

I seem to have a modest but viable Slackware-9.1 installation on my humble
Toshiba 430CDT after no more than the usual number of pratfalls, and no
major faceplants. All in all, it was smooth so far. (Haven't fired up
XFree86 yet, though ...)

I chose to boot from the Linux partition's superblock as counseled by the
installer, but I Lilo doesn't seem to find it and I hand at the 'LI'
prompt and must still boot with the floppy.

My '/etc/lilo.conf' stipulates:
 boot=/dev/hda1
 and I used 'fdisk' to toggle the 'bootable' flag on this partition, but
don't seem to get there.

What additional pixie dust do I need here, or is it perhaps a basic
problem with my laptop?

If I go to booting with the MBR, how do I put a boot image in place?

TIA.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu