[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Oct 16 22:00:07 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:23:08PM -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:28:23AM -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't checked, but I suspect that the RHN is only provided for one
> > > system, not all of them.  In fact, I believe that they claim you can only
> > > install on one system, so the $179/sys if the proper estimate above.  It
> > > is cheaper that $199, but not by much.
> > This has nothing to do with the GPL and compliance with it (or lack
> > thereof). Copyright law and trademark law are two different things.
> Actually, it does because the GPL is nothing more than a software license
> that limits what Red Hat can do.
>
> I solved this problem for one client by having them subscribe to RHN for
> one system.  A program that I wrote then sees what new RPMs, if any, came
> in and then copies them to their other systems and does a RPM install.
> Works great and is legal.

I do agree that you should be able
to retrieve every piece of software that is GPL'ed on the RH ISO
images.  I believe they have a right to limit the distribution
of the total ISO to meet certain RH license guidelines.  Sure
you should be able to freely download the openssh.XXXX.rpm but
not be able to download the RH installer.  That would be code owned
by RH and not fall under the GPL. Unless they were stupid enough to
place their "glue" under the GPL. The packages are free the glue
you have to pay for.  That is the value that novice users get when
the pay for the ISO images.  You and I can build our own linux
system from the ground up so we do not need their glue.

Chris