[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:54:51 EDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Jeff Layton wrote:

> Are you sure? (I'm not questioning you, I've just never heard
> this). I'm looking at solutions to replace RH 7.3 on our clusters
> (in total we have something like 1200 CPUs or about 600 boxes).

Sure about which part, the price breaks in bulk or the base price? In either
case, yes ;-).

At any rate, the RHEL line is sold on a per seat, per year subscription
basis.  Exact pricing depends on level of support being subscribed to, but
starts at $179 / seat / year.

If you need lots of seats, talk to a RH sales person. The bundles I've been
involved with usually consist of them selling you RH Proxy server (local
copy of the RHN updates server), and then greatly reduced pricing per seat
which attaches to that Proxy. That also gives you the advantage of being
able to add custom update channels to the Proxy server (so that you can
easily push additional packages throughout the cluster)

later,
chris