[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Oct 16 09:48:28 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 09:41:09AM -0400, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> Thanks Bob.  That explanation makes more sense than any other I've heard.  I
> agree with you that they are treading on the edge of the GPL.  Kinda
> sad--they've always big such strong proponents of it in the past.  Now they
> seem to see it as an obstacle to their business.

I think they are seeing dollar signs.  With 1 million people on the RHN,
how do you turn each individual into a paying individual?  Last copy
of RedHat I paid for was version 4.2.  I feel lame about it. Sure the software
pieces are GPL but they took the time and made the investment to *package* it
as a solution. It is a very good solution to my M$ phobia.