[ale] CUPS Newbie

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 15 18:38:27 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 05:43:12PM -0400 Robert Heaven <robertheaven at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I think I figured out why I was having a problem. As I was reading the
> cups help documentation, and attempting to execute the commands it was
> recommending (lpstat -p -d), I kept noticing I was getting responses
> from the lpd system. (referring to /etc/printcap and /var/spool/lpd) At
> first, being ignorant, I thought maybe cups was using lpd as a backend.
> As I read further I found out the cups system replaces most of the lpd
> programs (they're mutually exclusive) with it's own so by re-installing
> cups I now have the correct programs for cups to work.
>
> I'm beginning to think that the install/setup tool on the slackware CD
> needs to pay attention to the order in which it installs certain
> applications.

You'll find cups is quite a bit different from lpd.  Try pointing
your browser to http://localhost:631 on your cups box.  CUPS has
quite a fancy admin web interface that gives you a rather friendly
means of administering printers.  Also, check out www.cups.org.  My
desktop slack box prints to an old HP540C off a freebsd box, which
*does* run berkeley lpd.  Works fine, even though they're on
different network segments.

David S. Jackson                                dsj at dsj.net