[ale] ssh experts?

Stephan Uphoff ups at stups.com
Wed Oct 15 15:28:08 EDT 2003

> Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> > I guess xawtv just uses the video extension of the X server
> > and is not in the loop for the video data stream.
> > The protocol of the  video extension probably just contains a
> > device name or identifier as video data source ...
>
> This does not happen if I telnet to the machine.  So I'm pointing my
> finger at ssh rather than xawtv.

ssh is tunneling the X connection.
Both xawtv and X server might believe that they are on the same machine.
( Since the tunneling is invisible to them)
This could enable the use of a (the?) video extension (special mode?) ...

Try to add a "normal" non tunneled remote DISPLAY before/after
the ssh X tunnel.