[ale] SSH KEy sizes

matty91 at bellsouth.net matty91 at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 15 13:23:33 EDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Christopher Fowler wrote:

>  From key-gen(1)
>
>      -b bits
>              Specifies the number of bits in the key to create.  Minimum is
>              512 bits.  Generally 1024 bits is considered sufficient, and key
>              sizes above that no longer improve security but make things
>              slower.  The default is 1024 bits.
>

> I've dealt with some companies in the past that have
> claimed that bigger keys = better security.  Based on the
> man page entry that is not so.  Does a key size of 2048 really matter
> vs one of 1024?

Well, with present day technology, a 1024-bit key is probably more than
sufficient. I use 2048-bit keys to protect myself against future theory
and technology findings. If someone wants to know your key, and it is
protected with a symmetric key algorithm, there are better ways than brute
forcing to get it.