[ale] beeping sendmail.cf [was: beeping procmail]

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 21:44:41 EDT 2003

> Can you tie down what exactly is causing your beeps?  Procmail,
> Sendmail, Fetchmail? Something else?  I'm just trying to watch the
> maillog while the machine beeps and note which messages seem to be
> active during the beep.

Okay, it was a biff statement in /etc/profile.  I just added a biff n
statement in my .bash_profile and all was quiet.  Hadn't noticed
before how whenever I get mail, the first VT is filled with biff
output if I switch there during an X session.  Sheesh.  It was easy
afterall, but this was a time consuming trip through the
sendmail/procmail/fetchmail/mutt config files and man pages (and
googles).

David S. Jackson                                dsj at dsj.net